School Innovation & Improvement Plan
Outcome goals for this academic school year
ESSER III School Innovation and Improvement Plan At A Glance
- Sangster Elementary School
- Region 4
- Allison Jankovich, Principal
The Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER III) is a federal grant, which requires that spending be used in specific areas. Part of the Fairfax County Public Schools spending plan identifies funding to be used for Unfinished Learning and Student Academic and Social, Emotional, Mental Health (Wellness) Needs.
Complete ESSER School Funding Plans
English Language Arts
Ensure students are making sufficient progress to be on grade level in English Language Arts.
- By the end of the 2022-23 school year, the overall Pass Advanced rate on the 3-6 Grade Reading SOL Tests will increase from 39% to 44% .
- The 3rd grade Reading SOL pass rate will remain at 99%.
- Use MTSS framework to determine and progress monitor tiered instruction for students reading below grade level.
- Strengthen Tier 1 reading instruction by refining and strengthening CLT practices.
- Differentiated small group instruction that targets specific literacy skills (phonemic awareness, phonics, comprehension skills, fluency, vocabulary).
Ensure students are making sufficient progress to be on grade level in Mathematics.
- By the end of the 2022-23 school year, the overall Pass Advanced rate on the 3-6 Grade Math SOL Tests will increase from 46% to 50% .
- The 3rd grade Math SOL pass rate will remain at 99%, reflecting student growth from the previous school year.
- Use MTSS framework to determine and progress monitor tiered instruction for students performing below grade level in mathematics.
- Strengthen Tier 1 math instruction by refining and strengthening CLT practices.
- Utilize tier 2 and 3 math resources and programs for targeted instruction and intervention.
Ensure students feel safe, included, and supported in the school environment.
- By the end of the 2022-2023 school year, students in grades 3-6 will gain knowledge on self-management strategies to better manage challenging emotions, thoughts, and behaviors, increasing schoolwide SEL scores on students' ability to self-manage from 51% to 71%.
- Morning meeting and closing circle to be implemented in each classroom on a daily basis.
- Implement Tier 2/Tier 3 interventions to address students experiencing social emotional challenges.
- School counselors will provide regularly scheduled classroom lessons based on the CASEL competencies in grades K-6. This will include building a feelings vocabulary, self-management strategies, relationship skills and social awareness.
Portrait of a Graduate (POG)
All students will complete a POG Presentation of Learning (POL) by 2025-26.
- By the end of the 2022-2023 school year, students in grades 3-6 will improve their understanding of the POG Ethical and Global citizen attribute, as demonstrated by an increase from 56% to 76% on the cultural awareness topic on the SEL screener.
- Communicate POG attributes and goals with students, staff, and the community to increase understanding of how it positively impacts students beyond the classroom.
- Intentionally embed POG attributes and skills in Tier 1 instruction.
- Students are given opportunities to celebrate backgrounds and stories, value diversity, and engage with others during the school day.