Principal's September Message
Dear Sangster Parents,
Happy New School Year! We are off to a great start.
This year we will continue to send a News You Choose message every Thursday with school updates. We’ll keep our emails to a minimum and will not send emails on other days schoolwide unless needed for essential purposes.
Below are a few announcements and gentle reminders at the beginning of the school year:
Emergency Care Cards & Health Forms
Thank you for returning your completed emergency care card and health form. If you have not done so yet, please do so ASAP.
No School on Friday, August 30 and Monday, September 2 – Labor Day is a holiday weekend. See you on Tuesday, September 3
Our first Parent Teacher Association (PTA) meeting is scheduled for Thursday, September 12 at 7:00 PM in the Sangster cafeteria
If you are entering the school building, please check-in at the main office with government issued identification. This is for your safety as well as the safety of all students.
We will have a fire drill every week during the first month of school and once a month for the remainder of the school year. We also practice tornado and lock down drills throughout the year.
Morning Arrival and Afternoon Dismissal
Thanks in advance for your patience and assistance helping to make morning arrival and afternoon dismissal a smooth and safe process for everyone. If parents are walking students to school this week, students should be walking to classrooms by themselves. They can do it! This helps foster their independence, even in kindergarten. Our staff members and safety patrols are available to assist students throughout the morning arrival and dismissal process.
Kiss and Ride
All students at Sangster are considered a bus rider or a walker. If you choose to drive your child to school or pick them up using the Kiss and Ride, please help us with our traffic flow. Our crossing guard may only cross students at the cross walk. The following things will help us make Kiss and Ride a smoother and more efficient process:
- If you are turning onto Reservation Drive from school property, please make a right turn. When parents make a left on Reservation Drive, it backs up traffic in the Kiss and Ride lane.
- Please do not park on Reservation Drive between the No Parking signs.
- Our student safety patrols open car doors to assist students getting out of vehicles in the Kiss and Ride. The Kiss and Ride lane is only one lane, so please be patient and do not pass other cars. This is for everyone’s safety.
- Student should exit the right side of the car, closest to the sidewalk.
- The Sangster crossing guard cannot provide traffic control for cars entering or exiting Kiss and Ride. Please call West Springfield Police Station at (703) 644-7377, dial 0 and ask for Supervisor, Lt. Krull if you have any questions.
Please be mindful that the bus loop is also a fire lane. Please do not park in the fire lane in case first responders are needed.
Parking in the Neighborhood
Please be kind to our school neighbors and do not block their private mailboxes and driveways. Thank you.
Please call the Sangster Attendance Line at 703-644-8282 to notify the school if your child is going to be absent or tardy. The instructional day begins at 9:10 AM. FCPS School Board regulations require verification of school absence. Thank you for your assistance.
Sangster Elementary is a partner with the Positivity Project. #OtherPeopleMatter. More information coming throughout the year. https://posproject.org/
Back to School Night (BTSN)
Grade K-3 will take place on Tuesday, September 3 from 6:00 – 7:45 P.M.
Grade 4-6 will take place on Tuesday, September 10 from 6:00 – 7:45 P.M.
Please remember that parking is always difficult, so leave plenty of time to park or walk. At BTSN you will find out what your child will learn this year, what the teacher expects from your child, how the teacher will support your child and how you can contact your child’s teacher. The parent partnership we have at Sangster is one key to the success of our students and has been an essential element of our school culture.
The schedule for BTSN is as follows:
- 6:00 – 6:45 P.M. Session I
- 6:45 - 7:00 P.M. Switch Sessions-Visit specialists, PTA clubs, and purchase spirit wear
- 7:00 – 7:45 P.M. Session II (repeat of session I)
Sangster is a terrific school! Thanks for all you do to support our students and teachers. See you soon.